Here’s why you should NOT wash your hair everyday
Category : Hair
Is there actually a reason why you should not wash your hair every day? Some people say they have to wash every day or their hair will look terrible and others can go days without washing. Ultimately the decision is a personal one, it all depends on the individuals hair type, scalp and how oily or dry their hair is.
BUT: Considering the current Water Crisis, we recommend that you do what’s actually best for your hair and Western Cape, by opting to not wash your hair daily. Save water, people!!
Many individuals can go for a week without washing their hair, but others can’t leave their hair a single day without shampooing, because it makes their hair look greasy. Everybody’s scalp reacts differently, some have more sebum production, which could cause the hair to become oily and they need to wash their hair more often. Others can have a dry scalp that can last a few days without washing. Everybody seems to have their own opinions on the matter. There is actually no definitive answer to the question, ‘How often should I wash my hair?’ The best way to look at it is to define your hair type and be aware of what styling methods you use every day.
First, let’s have a look at what shampoo actually does to your hair. Shampoo is there to help trap any excess oil and dirt, which is then rinsed out of the hair. Leaving some oil in the hair is a good thing, because it protects the hair from any damage and adds moisture to the scalp. If you wash your hair excessively this may strip your hair of the natural oils, this can then dry the hair out and lead to brittle hair.
To help you make up your own mind on the matter, here are a few more reasons why you should not wash your hair every day.
- Many of us colour our hair and washing it too often can cause it to fade faster, to prevent this just shampoo less often. This could also save you some money in the long run, by colouring your hair less often.
- One of the issues we have discussed already, is that washing hair regularly can strip the hair of its natural oils. This may not only cause dry and brittle hair, but can also make your hair look dull and lifeless.
- Washing your hair too often can also cause more split ends, because the hair becomes dry and brittle, causing it to break easily.
- The many products available for haircare can sometimes be on the expensive side, if you purchase a quality product. By washing your hair less and using less shampoo, you will save more money over time.
- This might sound odd, but washing every day might contribute to product build-up on your scalp. You tend to use other products to help with the dry scalp and split ends because of shampooing too often.
- When it comes to slightly dirty hair, it may even style a little easier than hair you have just washed. For some, you get those little hairs that tend to stick out after you have just washed and dried your hair.
Just give it a try, skip a few days and see how things go. This could help you to regain your scalps natural balance giving you healthier and more beautiful hair. The average person can most probably wash their hair every two to three days with no hassles. If you find that your hair and scalp are becoming visibly oily or you get that itchy feeling, then it is most probably time to take out the shampoo, but also – head scarves are making a come-back —
Need a new look? Expert hair advice? Give us a call! 021 9794292