This Season: Give the Gift of an Experience
Why Gifting an Experience is Best
Struggling to find that unique gifting idea for someone? Many people today are just too busy to go out to the shops and search for that perfect gift. So, they land up giving the same old thing, chocolates, wine, bath products etc. There’s nothing wrong with these types of gifts, but for those who are closer to you, maybe something more original would be more exciting. Gifting an Experience is becoming more popular as a way to fulfil people’s desired interests.
Can you remember what you got three years ago for your birthday? Even if you can remember what it was, do you still have it? Then think about the first time you went on holiday with a loved one, to the beach, overseas, or elsewhere. Can you recall all those memories? The time you went to your very first music concert with your friends? You forget about material things, but experiences and memories are lasting.
“We don’t remember days, we remember moments” Cesare Pavese
You even get those not so good experiences, where you fell into a mud puddle or got lost in the city you were visiting, these become stories you tell over and over again for a laugh. These experiences are almost always done with somebody and by gifting an experience, this can only bring you closer to your loved one. The gift is not just a once off thing, an experience is shareable and the memories can last a lifetime. Social experiences can also influence how happy we feel. After going on a picnic, or to the beach with a friend or family member, how did it make you feel? This is what sets a material gift apart from a gifted experience, the emotion that comes out when sharing the experience.
There have been studies, which actually show that material gifts lose their appeal faster. On the other hand, experiences tend to build excitement, which lasts, even when the actual experience is over. An experience is also something that can’t be compared too much, you know when you get that new iPhone. You might start comparing it to the new one your friend just got, which has more features.
Giving an experience as a gift is a lot more personal and there has to be some thought put into it. You can’t go and purchase a skydiving voucher when the person is afraid of heights. You have to learn more about the person you want to buy the gift for. What do they like and dislike, in order to come up with a unique and thoughtful gift experience? To make it easy for you, today most of the vouchers for experiences can be purchased online.
Reasons why you should try gifting an experience
- The best reason is the anticipation. For any other gift, you unwrap it and then the excitement fades, but your anticipation builds for however long until the day of the event.
- Getting new things is great, but in a lot of cases, these things just land up on the shelf collecting dust. Not so with gifting an experience, you will only land up with awesome memories.
- Finding happiness, buying stuff can feel good but in the long run, does it actually make you happy? A fun experience can fulfil that need.
- An experience is usually done with somebody else, so not only is it exciting for you but also for those who share the experience with you. You get to build relationships while you’re at it.
- Those who receive an experience as a gift will always remember the giver.
Look no further
There are many categories when it comes to these types of gifting ideas. One of the major categories include experiences at a beauty or hair salon. You won’t go wrong with a beauty voucher that includes a wash, cut and hair treatment followed by a massage, manicure or pedicure.