Category : Hair
Everyone loves how their hair looks after a colour treatment. But a month or so later, the colour seems to fade and look dull. Good news! There is a way to make your colour last longer, and you should definitely give it a try.
“ Everything looks better in colour”
What could cause your hair to fade faster?
- Styling your hair every day with heat can be causing your hair to fade faster. Today, you may be able to find straightening irons that have a special setting for those with coloured hair. You also get special products that you can apply before styling, known as ‘ thermal protectants’
- The most obvious cause for fading your hair colour is washing it too often. If your hair is not oily, try to wash every second to third day. You could consider using dry shampoo to extend the time between washes. Hot water is also a culprit when it comes to fading hair, so if you can, try to wash in cooler water. Only use the cooler water after conditioning as this closes the hair cuticles. If you do this after shampooing, the conditioner will have no real effect.
- Sticking with washing your hair, it also matters what type of shampoo you are using. Some shampoos that contain sulphates and other chemicals can have an effect on the colour. It is best to purchase shampoos that are colour safe or more natural and sulphate free.
- In the summer months, exposing your hair to the sun and harsh water can strip your hair of moisture and colour. Try applying a hair mask once in a while. The sun can also be a culprit when it comes to fading hair. Try using a shampoo with UV protection and if you do go out into the sun, remember to wear a hat.
- Speaking of harsh water, chlorine is bad for your hair whether it is coloured or not. The best way you can take care of your hair is to wash out the chlorine before it dries completely. Some professionals also recommend using a leave-in hair conditioner before going to swim.
- Be aware of hair products with large amounts of alcohol as an ingredient. These will dry the hair out and also fade hair faster.
Making your hair colour last longer
One of the first things you can do to help save your hair colour is not to wash your hair too soon after the colour has been applied. The dye needs time to settle and washing too soon can rinse some of the colour out and causing the colour fade faster.
You can try to apply most of the shampoo to the roots, work up a lather and then move a little bit of the shampoo over the rest of your hair before you rinse it off. The water that comes out of the shower may also have chemicals in it, these chemicals can be one of the causes that fade your hair colour. Today, it is easy to purchase a shower head filter that helps to stop any chlorine or other chemicals and metals coming through.
Keep your hair hydrated by applying a colour-friendly conditioner and using a moisturising treatment once a week. There are many products available for this purpose, but you can just as easily use one simple, natural product, jojoba oil. You can also use other oils including coconut oil or Argan oil.
Have a look at this video, which gives you the tips on how to make your colour last longer. You will also find a few recommended products that can easily be purchased from your local store or our salon.