Category : Beauty
Millions of rands are spent on beauty services every year and quite a large portion of that comes from offering different facial treatments. This is because these facials are marketed to us promising the removal of blemishes, wrinkles and to help moisturise and rejuvenate the skin. But do these treatments actually work and which facial should you go for?
First off, nothing can replace good old fashioned daily home care and practicing a regular cleansing and moisturising regime. The standard facial involves something similar; starting off with a deep cleanse, followed by a massage and facial steam, then a mask or some type of peel and finally a moisturiser. Then you get the more involved treatments like microdermabrasion or micro-needling, which focuses more on the anti-aging side of things.
Let’s have a look at the different skin types out there:
- Normal Skin is healthy
- Dry Skin – skin that produces less sebum than normal
- Oily Skin – increased sebum production
- Combination Skin – different sections of the face produce different skin types
In most cases your skin type comes down to genetics, but the condition of the skin can also be affected by certain external and internal factors. Things like the weather, your diet, medications and stress can all have an effect. In most cases when going to a salon for a facial, the therapist will do an evaluation to determine your skin type. This helps the therapist determine what treatment will work best.
“Your skin is 90% of your selfie”
Now let’s have a look at the benefits a professional facial. Is there actually something in going to a professional and paying the price?
- A facial is de-stressing; it is different when somebody else does the facial versus doing one on yourself.
- The salon might use more effective products, and not everybody applies toner, cleanser, masks, and exfoliates every day. I hope everybody at least moisturizes every day.
- Many facials involve some kind of extraction, which face it, excuse the pun; some aren’t keen on doing it themselves.
- The treatment does improve circulation, but this part can just as easily be done at home.
- The professional facial can deal more specifically with certain skin problems
- The right facial treatment can also have great benefits before an important event like a wedding.
- The therapist can advise on what products are best for your skin
- You can only get the more advanced facials that use unique technology at a professional salon or spa.
- Certain skin conditions are best left to be treated by professionals to avoid worsening the condition. Also make sure the therapist knows what they are doing, especially if you have sensitive skin.
- The facial will help to improve the absorption of all facial products used after the treatment.
So now you know the benefits of a professional facial, how often should you get one? The general amount of times to go for a facial is every three to four weeks, because this is how long the skin cell growth takes in a cycle. This will help you to keep your skin looking toned and clear. For many, this can turn out to be a bit on the expensive side, so try to at least have one once every season.
Home care is just as important if not more so and there are a lot of products out there to choose from. Some contain some exotic ingredients that come from some plant on an Island in the Pacific. These types of products are sure to have a price tag to go with it. You don’t have to spend a fortune, just make sure you find a product suited to your skin. Ensure you cleanse and moisturise regularly and most important, always apply sun protection.
BOOK A PROFESSIONAL FACIAL WITH US: 021-9794292